Thursday, August 2, 2012

9 Followers and Counting



Almost two weeks into the Twitter experiment and I am proud to say I have something to show for it.  Nine followers!  And if any of you nine are reading right now, thank you.  Especially my first follower "German ignacio rojas," whoever the hell you are.  Naturally when I saw that gentleman become my first new Twitter friend my prior reservations were confirmed: Twitter is pointless to a guy like me who doesn't understand it.

I theorize that people my age are not of the Twitter generation.  We do fine with Facebook and various other "check me out, I'm awesome" sights, but we don't "get" Twitter.  If there is anything to get, that is.  For one thing, why post on Twitter at all if my post can be linked to my Facebook account which my friends actually look at and comment on?  And it isn't as though everyone's fancy phone can't access Twitter, Facebook, and a million other Websites.  For me, I don't need to be on a bunch of different sights talking about my day.  One should suffice.

However, I will admit the one thing that draws me in is the 140 character gimmick.  It is fun trying to write such a brief synopsis of my thoughts.  I will also grant that if I better understood the "@" and the "#" it would be fun to talk to celebrities and pay attention to what is trending, respectively.  But in truth I feel too removed from the Twitter culture.  It seems like a more impersonal way for us to pretend we are being personal.

All that said, I am gonna stick with it at least until I get to 50 followers, and probably beyond.  I created the profile, I might as well use it.  You've suck me in again technology-based cultural movement!


No comments:

Post a Comment