Sunday, March 11, 2012

Eye of the Beholder


16. What makes a person attractive, in your opinion?

See: Man in picture above. But this is a blog and John's face doesn't explain everything behind the man I love, though it covers some very nice ground.

I think this is a very interesting question to consider, as people tend to answer with basic similar responses before tacking on their own individual quirks (must like Munster cheese, would enjoy hot air balloon rides over the Appalachians, likes to do chores in the nude, etc.). Coincidentally, as someone is describing their ideal mate you learn just as much about them.


My personal opinion has retained a core nebula of attractive traits for as long as I can remember: confidence, good sense of humor, doesn't mind being a dork, likes a quiet night in with good food and a good flick, likes dogs, willing to kill large bugs and hairy arachnids. If I had to have a "type," I would say tall, dark-haired, a capable sort of man's man who doesn't wear popped collars or checkered golf shorts. And as I grew up and older, learning from relationships what I didn't want and what I did deserve, that list expanded to things like must respect me, work in equal partnership, be honest and open, willing to pursue and carryout dreams, embrace the desire to just be themselves and love another with the openness and eagerness that they want as well.

When I met John for the first time, I entered into our date with a primary acknowledgement. After having been in DC for a short while and having tried Match.com for a few months, I was tired of "okay dates" or "dates who didn't look like their pictures" or "dates who brought crickets to chirp in the background" or "dates who took my natural sunny demeanor for 'let's go back to your place and finish this wine after I awkwardly kiss you in the middle of the street'." Anyone who has tried online dating is aware of the risks: great guys, okay guys, nightmare guys. It's just like meeting in the real world except you get to read their resume first...and as some people spin quite a professional yarn, so do the romantic hopefuls of cyberspace. Sam and Becky, two of our good friends, have hatched a plan with us to launch "Rematch" at some point in the near future where Match alumni can network to pair previous flops...okay, so this isn't a serious business model, but might at least lead to Kardashian-esque reality television and a line of musky perfume.

John was going to be my last Match date. We'd had a great phone date the week prior, but meeting in person would determine if this great big experiment could offer any merit.

Well, I took one look at the smile he gave me while waiting outside the Cleveland Park metro stop and that was that. We've been together ever since. I didn't expect to meet the love of my life that chilly February night, but I discovered someone who was everything I'd spent my entire life looking for. Someone who made my heart whole and allowed me to be entirely myself. John became attractive to me in an entirely new light because yes, he was all that I wanted, though he was also more. We began to grow not just as individuals, but as a couple. Building a life together creates so many incredible new meanings and experiences that change the world around you for the better. That's pretty darn attractive.

No comments:

Post a Comment