Friday, August 26, 2011

The Threat Level Is "EXTREME"

Yes, the title of this blog is actually an article snippet from a reputable weather source.

I'm going to rage here, and I hope you can tolerate/forgive my furious wrath at the various weather reports flooding television and internet alike as Irene churns its way north.

1) Jim Cantore is an idiot. I grew up in Florida where watching hurricane tracks was a way of life. I knew all about pressure fluctuations, wind speed, flood variations, feeder bands, eye walls, and how to nail up a piece of plywood by the time I was eight. I don't need to see an over-zealous storm worshiper clinging to a telephone pole explaining how the massive flying debris field swirling behind him could kill you if you go outside. Thank you, Captain Obvious, for your grab bag of freak-out reports meant to further alarm an already frantic populace.

2) I understand the need to raise awareness about a storm's seriousness, but every time a reporter reaches for (or clicks on) their thesaurus to find a better word to describe "danger" and its derivatives (i.e. catastrophic, vengeful, extreme, maniacal, perilous, menacing, etc) they succeed in sensationalizing their story, but in turn cause an upsurge in panic. As Linda stands in line at Costco surrounded by a horde of wide-eyed stricken shoppers toting supplies for the apocalypse, she turns to her nearest counterpart and whispers, "Did you hear what they're calling this storm? A decimating widespread threat!" And like a game of grade school telephone, Nearest Counterpart relays to her friend that "This storm is the most destructive hurricane we could ever see here" and so on. I don't mean to make light of a legitimately serious situation, but I wish it could be handled in a way that both stressed the seriousness without causing a stampede at food and hardware stores.

3) The wind-blown, rain-soaked palm tree graphic of doom splashed across the storm page for weather.com. How about a solid blue backdrop which draws attention to the map and other important information without me having to further visualize what the streets will look like this weekend?

I am jaded about hurricanes growing up in Florida. I take them very seriously and stalk the same reports which drive me crazy, though I don't understand the need to overly-dramatize an already dangerous situation. It is what it is: a terrible awful storm which everyone needs to respect and prepare for. Let's stick to the facts, report what's necessary, and keep people informed. Bottom line. People perceive danger pretty easily. If given what they need to react, all of the zeal could easily be disposed of.

Please be safe, everyone, and take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment