Monday, August 15, 2011

Who I Am

What more is there to tell about myself that isn't said by my admission that I have seen Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel? I never thought I would be that guy. I swore I wouldn't, but in a moment of weakness last Saturday morning I caught myself watching the movie in it's entirety. I wish I had managed to catch the first 15 minutes of Dinner for Schmucks so I could have counted that as our movie that day. Events like this are the exact reason I don't order HBO when I am paying for my cable. I cannot count how many awful movies I have sat through simply because they were on.

Back to Alvin, Simon, and Theodore. I came to realize something while watching their increasingly absurd high school experience: this garbage was no worse than the stuff I loved as a kid. In fact, it holds the added bonus of having better production quality that will hopefully hold up better than say The Chipmunk Adventure:



In truth the Chipmunks was always about peddling pop music sung in high pitched voices ever since "The Witchdoctor":



And darn it if it doesn't still have some appeal when the little guys (and gals) break in to the most obnoxious version of "Bad Romance" ever heard. Like I said, I feel it is very telling about me that I have seen Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel.

It says I am someone who is willing to give anything a chance, if somewhat begrudgingly. It says I am someone who tries to see the merit in all things. Most of all, it says I am someone who is comfortable enough with who he is to admit he has seen a money-grubbing, soulless kids' movie with nary a child in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment